PTSD destabilizes your mental health, and makes it challenging to move forward into a better future. If you have PTSD, you may notice symptoms such as anxiety, flashbacks, or feelings of intrusive guilt or shame, among other complex reactions.
Because PTSD can arise from so many types of traumatic experience, and because PTSD symptoms can vary so much from patient to patient, the team at Nugent Family Counseling Center, under the leadership of Dr. Geoff Nugent, relies on a customized treatment approach when dealing with this type of mental health counseling.
With personalized, one-on-one connection to a provider at our San Jose, California, Los Gatos, California, and Reno, Nevada, locations, you can complete your journey toward healing after trauma. Here’s what you should know about the benefits of a customized treatment approach.
The complex causes of trauma
Many types of trauma can leave you coping with PTSD. You could experience PTSD due to distressing experiences like:
- Being in combat
- Witnessing violence
- Being the victim of physical abuse, emotional abuse, or sexual abuse or assault
- Living through problems in your household like addiction, mental illness, or neglect
- Living through a serious accident or natural disaster
Trauma can have complex causes. You might suffer from PTSD due to intimate partner abuse, divorce, past child abuse, or other traumatic experiences.
The range of PTSD symptoms
The symptoms of PTSD also don’t look the same for everyone. In fact, most people react differently to experiences of trauma. If you’re coping with PTSD, you may have signs and symptoms such as:
- Flashbacks and intrusive memories of your trauma
- Nightmares, insomnia, and sleep disturbances
- Startling easy
- Feelings of aggression or irritability
- Feeling disconnected from loved ones and hobbies
- Feelings of shame, guilt, or worthlessness
- Anxiety or depression
- Addiction or thoughts of self-harm
Treatment that puts you first
With all the complex factors involved in PTSD, it’s no wonder that it takes personalized care and mental health support for recovery to occur. At Nugent Family Counseling, that’s the kind of care we provide, adjusting your treatment plan based on your unique mental health support needs and trauma history.
Depending on your mental health care needs, your provider at Nugent Family Counseling Center designs a custom treatment plan to address your PTSD symptoms, and help you process the root cause of your distress. You may be able to benefit from treatment options, therapies, and approaches including:
- Psychotherapy with one of our expert counselors
- Therapeutic approaches like cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or dialectical-behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Medication management for anxiety or depression
- Group therapy to ease feelings of shame or aloneness
- Alternative approaches like hypnosis or aromatherapy to help you move past trauma
- Microcurrent electrical therapy or neurofeedback to restore healthy brain function
With a fully customized treatment plan, you can resolve your mental health symptoms due to PTSD, and move forward into a brighter future after healing from traumas of the past. To learn more about all the benefits of personalized PTSD treatment, get in touch with the Nugent Family Counseling Center team today.
Schedule your appointment over the phone, or request an appointment online now.